From couch potato to patatas bravas
If you’ve been to our cosy corner of Cambridgeshire you may have noticed some vegan and vegetarian options on our tapas and breakfast menus. People often believe Spanish and Mediterranean food to be meat oriented but it is surprisingly friendly to non-meat eaters.
Here at Habis we try to cater for all tastes and our breakfasts are full of non-meat options such as our delicious vegan toast and we have lots of vegetarian tapas such as the old classic – patatas bravas. And talking of potatoes, ‘tis the season of the spud across Norfolk and Littleport.
So, we thought we would give you our recipe for one of Spain’s most popular tapas – patatas bravas to keep you warm in the winter months and keep the farmers happy! This tapas comprises two elements – the potatoes and the sauce.
For the potatoes you will need:
- 4 medium potatoes
- Olive oil (for frying, about 1-2 cups)
What you need to do:
- Peel the potatoes, rinse thoroughly, and dry with a paper towel.
- Cut the potatoes into bite-size chunks.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes and adjust the heat to the lowest setting, allowing them to pre-cook for a few minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and let them cool in the fridge for a few more minutes.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the potatoes back into the pan.
- Fry until crispy and golden.
- Transfer the potatoes to a plate lined with paper towels to cool, and sprinkle with salt to taste.
For the sauce you will need:
- ⅓ cup of olive oil
- 1 tsp of pimentón picante (hot smoked paprika)
- 2 tsp of pimentón dulce (sweet smoked paprika)
- 1 tbs flour
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- Salt to taste
What you need to do:
- Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove the pan from the burner before it starts to smoke.
- Add the pimentón dulce and pimentón picante, and stir until they form a paste.
- Stir in the flour until combined.
- Add the broth little by little, stirring constantly, until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Pour over your beautifully cooked potatoes and start noshing
And don’t forget our best non-meat dish – cake (and coffee)! See you in Habis soon.